Symptoms are not obvious. Most children who have lead poisoning do not look or act sick. The only way to know if your child has lead poisoning is to have a blood test for lead.
Lead can hurt your child. Children can get sick if they eat lead paint or breathe lead in dust. Lead poisoning can make it hard for your child to learn, pay attention, and behave. Lead poisoning can also slow growth and impair hearing.
When to get your child tested. If your children are 1 or 2 years old, you should get them tested for lead poisoning. Also, have your children tested if they are between the ages of 1 and 6 years and have not been tested for lead before.
Remember, a blood lead test is the only way to know if your child has lead poisoning.