Fictitious Business Name Statement
Who Should File?
- Persons doing business for profit under a fictitious name (which does not include surname in business name).
- The statement must be filed in county of principal place of business and may also be filed in other counties as long as the requirements for filing in the county of principal place of business have been met.
- Non-profit corporations, organizations or associations are not required to file a Fictitious Business Name Statement
- Owner must sign (corporate officer if corporation; manager or officer if limited liability company; general partner if partnership; trustee if trust).
- Street address of principal place of business and county must be listed (corporation/limited liability companies must include address as set out in its articles of incorporation on file with the Secretary of State and the state of incorporation/organization. (a copy of the articles must be provided at time of filing).
- All owners and their residence addresses must be listed.
- Filed copy of statement must be published once per week for four consecutive weeks in an adjudicated newspaper in Humboldt County. (see instruction sheet for a list of general circulation newspapers).
- Publication must begin within 30 days of filing. If not begun in this time frame, you will be required to submit a new filing and pay the fee again. There is no waiver of the fee.
|Base Filing Fee||$44|
|Second & additional business name (each)||$9|
|Second & additional registrant (each)||$9|
|Abandonment & Withdrawals (flat fee)||$40|
This office does not issue business licenses. To obtain a license to do business in the city limits, contact the City Hall in the city where the business will be conducted. For a business to be conducted in an unincorporated area of the County, contact the Humboldt County Treasurer's Office at (707) 476-2450 or visit their website.
Trademarks and Tradenames
Contact the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.